Metabo HPT, Hitachi’s current name, is bringing a breakthrough in the field of cordless framing nailers. The role of pneumatic features in woodworking, furniture making, and other construction works is known to skilled carpenters. Yet they don’t like all those messy cables and noisy compressors to hang on. Keep this in mind Metabo HPT NR1890DR comes with a unique spring drive system that gives you a taste of compressed air without getting into contact with hoses.
Metabo cordless framing nailer offers you two identical models, Metabo HPT NR1890DR and Metabo HPT NR1890DC. The difference between the two is one can drive the round head plastic collated nails and other clipped head nails.
Today, we will talk about the Metabo HPT NR1890DR 18V Cordless Framing Nailer, as round head nails are widely used and accepted by most of the building codes. It will also give you max holding power and powerful drive. Let’s dive in.
Note: Metabo brings change to their model. Metabo HPT NR1890DR is now Metabo HPT NR1890DRS. However, we have not found any performance difference between them.
- INCLUDED: NR1890DRS, Compact 3. 0Ah Lithium-Ion Battery, Fast Charger, Contractor Bag, Safety Glasses
- CORDLESS FREEDOM: Pneumatic power with 18-volt cordless freedom
- FASTENERS: Accepts round head 21 degree plastic strip collated nails from 2 Inch up to 3-1/2 inches in length and (0.113 to 0.131)
- POWER: Can drive 400 Nails per charge
- TOOL-LESS DEPTH ADJUSTMENT
- PNEUMATIC-LIKE FEEL
- EASY SWITCH FROM BUMP TO SEQUENTIAL
- ZERO RAMP UP
- BRUSHLESS MOTOR TECHNOLOGY
Specification Of Metabo HPT NR1890DRS In Short
- Power Source: 18V Lithium-Ion Battery
- Battery Amperage: 3.0 Ah
- Firing Mode: Sequential + Bump
- Fastener Range: 2 to 3-1/2 inch
- Magazine Angle: 21 degree
- Magazine Capacity: 37 nails
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Weight: 10.1 lbs.
- Dimension: 13.5 x 5.38 x 13.5 inches
Key Features Of Metabo HPT NR1890DRS
- Complete cordless nailer, no need of any hose or gas cartridge
- Powerful and compact 3.0 Ah Li-ion battery can drive 400 nails per charge
- Tool-free depth of drive adjustment
- Easy switch from sequential to bump mode
- Brushless motor for longer run time and less maintenance
- Zero ramp-ups can shoot 2 nails per sec
- Package includes a heavy-duty contractor bag for easy carry
- Extensive lifetime warranty for tool and 2 years for Lithium-ion battery
Detailed Features Of Metabo HPT NR1890DR
Unique Air Spring Drive System
If you ask what makes the Metabo power tools inimitable from other battery-powered nail guns on the market, the answer is its air spring drive system.
Despite the fact that it is solely powered by batteries, it has compressed air performance. Let’s take a look at how the air spring drive mechanism functions.
Working Procedure Of Air Spring Drive System
Metabo’s Air Spring Drive System consists of a sealed compressed air cylinder and a spring. While running, the spring is rolled and compressed using the power produced by the battery-powered brushless motor and gains momentum. When you turn on the engine, the attached piston moves from downward to upward through the cylinder and compressing air into it. At the moment you pressed the trigger, compressed air is released forcibly, and push the piston downward. The piston then hit the nail head to shoot out from the gun. All these actions happened within a fraction of a second.
Though it has a piston and cylinder like a car engine, it is very distinct from a combustion engine. A combustion engine needs fuel (gasoline or petroleum), whereas the Metabo air spring drive system use spring compression. Therefore, it is economical and safer for our environment too.
From the above-described working procedure, you may seem that it’s a lengthy method, but it’s not. In reality, the brushless motor starts working even before the trigger is pulled. It implies that when you fire the nailer, the fastener is pushed with zero lag at once. It’s always prepared to hit the next nail. The method is fast enough to drive 2/3 nails per second, and its recoil feels like an excellent pneumatic nailer.
Air spring drive system, therefore, will give you the following advantages –
- Zero ramp-up time and faster response time between drives
- No burning noise and no gas fumes
- Consistent performance at low temperatures or high altitudes
- Less maintenance due to no need for regular cleaning of the combustion chamber
Metabo’s spring mechanism is powered by a brushless motor, which we already knew about. As a result, similar to other cordless nailers like the Dewalt, you’ll get frictionless rotation for longer run-time per charge, added longevity, and less maintenance hassle from it.
It will also ensure superior performance and accuracy to sink nails up to 3½ inches of size into any LVL or baseboards even through 5/4 decking boards or 4×4 engineered lumber all day long.
A powerful 18-volt 3.0Ah Lithium-Ion battery is used to supply power to the Metabo HPT NR1890DRS. As a result, you could drive up to 400 nails per single charge with it. Not only will you get enough driving power from it, but it will also give you a compact size for ultimate portability. It is 3/4″ shorter and .6 lbs lighter than other conventional 3.0Ah batteries.
And the battery is compatible to use all of your other 18v slide-type Li-Ion Hitachi or Metabo cordless tools, which is great.
There are also options if you think the above number of actuation isn’t enough to speed up your project and want to drive more nails per charge of battery. Metabo NR1890DRS enables you to increase the battery capacity from 3.0Ah to 6.0Ah. If you set a 6.0Ah battery, you can flush 780 nails per charge. Have a lot of fun! Oh, my goodness!
Please look at the ampere vs. the number of nails per charge graph below for a better understanding.
Low Operating Cost
If you have a Metabo Cordless Framing Nailer, you could save 25% of your operating costs as you no longer need to buy any gas cartridge or air compressor. Moreover, you can drive 25 percent more nails compared to a fuel cell-powered nailer with it. Let’s see the graph below to get more indulgent.
Considerations to draw the above graph:
- Without the cost of nails.
- The numbers of the total cost were relative values when the initial cost of competitor’s gas framing nailer indexed at 100.
- Electricity cost may vary depending on the state you stayed.
The new Hitachi cordless framing nailer came on the market in 2018 and is equipped with a control panel situated right at the base of the handle. You can control particular settings with this panel by pressing buttons.
- To get the device ready for a job, you have to press ‘ON’ switch of the nailer. For a second, you just hold the button, and it comes to life. It is a brilliant feature for the operator’s safety. You can use this button to quickly put the tools in off mode when you are not in action.
- You can check the battery life as there is a LED control to show the battery charge level.
- You can select either sequential or bump fire mode directly using this control panel. Where most other nailers offer a locking switch to change between firing modes, at the worst cases, you have to replace the trigger, Metabo cordless tools make it so easy that you have only press a button to do so. Very cool. Ha!
Depth Of Drive
Adjustment of drive depth is a crucial setting for each nailer. Metabo nail gun addresses it rightly and designs a quick change wheel/dial to align the depth-of-drive, which helps you get precision nailing. Based on your working surface density and variety, now you can set your desired drive depth without using any tools.
We love to mention that Metabo HPT comes with a pivoting rafter hook. Well, you will enjoy it. It’s large enough to hang the tool from a 4x beam, and it’s easy to rotate in or out of place as required.
Non-slip rubberized soft grip reminds us of the mastery in ergonomics of Hitachi power tools. Yes! Because of its ergonomically designed handle, you could enjoy driving nails all day with comfort.
It also comes with a side lock trigger switch located on the handle, which prevents accidental firing when the tool is not in use or you carry it from one place to another.
The tool weight with battery is 10.1 pounds, which is a bit heavier, but in practice, you will find it is a well-balanced cordless nailer for easy maneuverability while working at tight corners.
A dry fire lockout system prevents nailers from firing when fasteners are low for added safety.
Power Saving Mode
Are you going to lunch break without disengaging the battery from your Metabo cordless tools? There’s nothing to worry about! The Metabo HPT NR1890DR will automatically go to sleep mode after 30 minutes of inactivity. This function enables you to save battery power from unnecessarily drain-out and also ensure safety, as no one can accidentally drive nails at that interval.
If you want the tranquility of mind, at the same time, not want to annoy your neighbors, then you come to the right place. Metabo Hitachi cordless nailer concept so that you can achieve the same efficiency as a pneumatic nailer without any combustion or compression noise, drag hoses, or even the smell of gas fumes. Not only is it quiet enough, but it will also provide you with consistent efficiency even at low temperatures and high altitudes.
Pros Of Metabo HPT NR1890DR
- Superior engineering
- Increased durability and longer run time
- The same pneumatic performance with cordless freedom
- Useful for punch-out work on a job site
- Quick in-and-out operation with minimum hassle
- Zero ramp-up time
- Less maintenance
Cons Of NR1890DR With Solution
We’ve not found any significant drawbacks of this super cordless nailer that abide you from buying this. One thing I can mention is that it has no tool-free jam clearing option, however, you will face very infrequent jam issues in this.
If you compare it with Paslode 905600 cordless framing nailer, you may also complain about its weight (10.1 pounds). However, once you palm it, you can feel how well balanced it is and forget about it overweight.
Frequently Asked Question (FAQ)
Q-1: Is the package includes any quick charger? If so, how long does It take to fully charged?
If you purchase it from Amazon, you find two packages. One contains a battery and charger, and another is a bare tool (no battery included). So, if you choose the kit with battery and other accessories, you will find a fast charger (UC18YSL3) along with it too. The rapid charger will take only 45 min to full charge.
Q-2: Is this device compatible with all branded nails or only accept hitachi nails?
You can drive any brand nails with this device without any issue. However, if you stick with Hitachi’s nails, it is better for your nail gun life.
Q-3: Can I sink nails into any solid or engineered lumber without bulging or sagging with this tool?
Lack of power and runtime is a common phenomenon for cordless nailers. However, the new Hitachi cordless nailer is uniquely designed that capable of creating enough energy to actuate 3-1/2 inch nails to any hard lumber or LVL easily. In fact, the brushless motor and spring drive mechanism are working behind this compelling one.
The new Metabo HPT NR1890DR 18V Cordless Framing Nailer is a unique blend of Japanese qualities. It utilizes sealed compressed air to fire each nail, which results in zero ramp-up time, short recoil that works like a pneumatic nailer and, the best part is that no replenishing of the air tank is needed.
The powerful battery and compressed air mechanism make this cordless nailer suitable for all construction-framing applications. It is particularly helpful for work-outs on the job site for fast in-and-out-of-work with minimal difficulty and professional outcomes.
- Best framing nailer reviews and buying guide.
- Best cordless framing nailer reviews and buying guide.
- How to use a framing nailer?
- Best Palm Nailer Reviews and Buying Guide
- Best Brad Nailer Reviews and Buying Guide
Tools Mirror is reader-supported. When you shop through retailer links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you.
No carpenter’s toolbox is complete without a circular saw. With such power and utility, it's a no-brainer for any woodworker to have them. They are affordable too. On the contrary, as a handheld...
The Jigsaw is a versatile and powerful tool for cutting shapes. It can cut straight lines and curves in a variety of materials quickly. No matter if you are into DIY projects or professional...